Sunday, June 28, 2009

Oh my: POF

I work with independent seniors and I constantly think that
if life really is about survival of the fittest, then these are the people who win.
Everyone's body deteriorates differently and there is only so much you can do about it.
Just as we all developed at different paces and in different ways, our bodies will break down, too.
But to get all the way to the finish line?
That means you did something right.
I want to get there
(or as close as I damn well can)
and I want to know that I did everything I could to be who I am,
to be happy,
to be who I wanted me to be.
Not who I thought everyone else wanted me to be
or even who everyone seemed to think I was
but as me.
Not that I got there despite my best efforts,
b-i-t-c-h-ing about it all the way.
I want to get to the finish line knowing that I improved the world,
if only in some small way,
that I had made a difference in someone's life,
that I put a smile where there hadn't been one before,
that I had raised a child
or reached out a helping hand to someone in need.
Not because someone stood on an alter and said I was supposed to
and not because it was politically correct and someone was watching
but because maybe they will turn around and reach out a helping hand to someone else.
And if they didn't deserve a helping hand,
I think maybe it's worth the chance,
and maybe there's a chance they would realize that they could deserve it.
My finish line is a long, long way away
but I know that I will get there with a smile on my face and peace in my heart.
And I guess I'm keeping my eyes open
for the person I might want to go there with,
for a life time, for a day,
or anything in between.
(Because, let's face it, when you get old you get to use dementia as an excuse to fool around on each other!! lol)