Friday, November 21, 2008

Update

Well, I haven't been writing much in here lately. I admit - I have moved on, I am with another. I started a career blog to - hopefully - give people a chance to see a bit of my personality. Trying to get someone to look at my stupid resume. I have barely had a call! But, as is my way, I just try something different with the confidence that I will hit the nail on the head eventually. In the mean time, I'm soaking up all of the information that I can get. I'm in training to find a job.

I have been trying and trying to get a job at one of these seniors places. It sounds like so, so, so, so much what I want to do. And, since I haven't been getting any interest, I bought a book about resumes, totally changed what I had from the reverse chronological format to the functional format. And let me tell you - I put the fun in functional! (Not really, I just thought that would be funny to say!!)

Anyway, fingers crossed and all that. If that doesn't work out, I am going to take some courses and a local business school and get some kind of certificate. Just something to have on paper. I wonder if... I used to think that it was the lack of schooling that has been holding me back but now I wonder if it was my resume. Before, the first thing they would see is that I used to manage a ladder business. Not very similar to working with seniors, huh? [Ha! I guess Tom was WRONG! A shorter resume didn't do the trick. But at least I tried it - I'm a little bitter toward Tom right now, but that's another story.]

With the functional format, I put all of my experience first and my work history after that. I am pretty impressed with how it turned out. I said on my cover letter that I wanted to working in business management, property management, public relations and marketing - "but how do you choose one when you want to do it all?" You don't. You get a job with them because it has aspects of all of those jobs and you get to work with people. Then my experience was divided into each of those jobs/roles and I explained what I had accomplished in each field. Then I put a "Going the Extra Mile" section and put a few things that I had done above and beyond.

I'm really excited about it. There is a wee voice in the back of my head that says they might still not call you but you know what I say to that voice? I say, but they might call. And, if they don't, I will do what I have to do until they call or I will move on to something else. Hmmmm. When was I talking just like this before? I almost do it naturally now. People keep saying how positive I am but I somehow feel that, in the long run, most people get irritated by it a bit. I don't know, it just seems like they get sick of the positive talk quick. But that's okay. These days I seem to pick up on the signal and change the subject. I like new me! I think I'm swell!

I put my condo up for sale today. It's not the best time because the market is tanking but it is the best time for me. I feel good about it; it's the right thing for me to do right now. I can't afford it and, even if I could, I know now that it's silly to shell out this much money every month when I can get by on so much less. I think this has been a good financial lesson for me. Now hopefully I can sell this place or find a job so I can put that good financial lesson to the test.

Omigod! How exciting would it be if I got this job???? I am seriously loving the idea of it. I think I would be good at it. I really do. If I don't get it, I plan to find some job in hotel admin to get some experience and something to do while I am working on my degree. And then I will go back and try again. Or I will move on. I think I already said this but that's okay. Stacey brought over a little treat.

So, summary: want the job, condo up for sale, can't wait to move, excited to get going, leaving for Mexico in a couple of days! Whoot! I'm very excited to be finally taking this trip. It's gonna be wicket! And then I will come back and I will start school or I will find a job and a new home and a new car and then I will start school. Muther father I hope I get a shot at that AGM position!! Just let me get my foot in the door - then I'll rule the place!